Accents Using Stick Control
Converting Rights into Accented Notes
Accents add a great deal of character and dynamics to your playing, in this lesson we work through Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone. Converting ‘Rights’ into Accents while lefts are played softly. Video lessons are broken into 4 lines as per the book.
It’s expected you’ll have a working knowledge of accents by completing our Introduction to Accents Lesson prior to trying this lesson.
All exercises to be played using a single stroke roll R L R L etc..
The patterns below are to be converted from their respective patterns into accented patterns.
R = Right
L = Left
A = Accent
S = Soft
Eg: R L R L becomes A S A S
Play patterns 1 – 4 as per stick control right becomes accented left is played soft. Play a single stroke roll for all exercises by converting the exercises below.
- R L R L R L R L R L R L R L R L
- L R L R L R L R L R L R L R L R
- R R L L R R L L R R L L R R L L
- L L R R L L R R L L R R L L R R
TIP: Hands play Single Stroke Roll for all exercises.
Patterns 1 – 4 (PG 5)
Play patterns 5 – 8 as per stick control right becomes accented left is played soft.
5. R L R R L R L L R L R R L R L L
6. L R L L R L R R L R L L R L R R
7. R R L R L L R L R R L R L L R L
8. R L R L L R L R R L R L L R L R
TIP: ‘R’ is played Loud, ‘L’ is played soft.
Patterns 5 – 8 (PG 5)
Play patterns 9 – 12 as per stick control right becomes accented left is played soft.
9. R R R L R R R L R R R L R R R L
10. L L L R L L L R L L L R L L L R
11. R L L L R L L L R L L L R L L L
12. L R R R L R R R L R R R L R R R
TIP: Left foot plays Hi Hat on 1 & 3.
Patterns 9 – 12 (PG 5)
- Purchase a copy of stick control to make the most out of this lesson
- Play each line individually 20 times over before moving onto the next pattern
- Incorporate your left foot playing the Hats on 1 & 3
- Try playing soft notes on the Toms
How did you go? These lessons should be used regularly to build your ability to play accents. Although not all patterns are particularly pleasing to hear. Over time you’ll develop the ability to play more complex rhythms using techniques learn’t here.
These lessons are based on this book Stick Control. Once you adapt my way of learning, you’ll find this book a valuable resource for many years to come. These lessons are based on page 5 Single Beat Combinations.
Purchase this book from Amazon using the link below.
Music Using Accents
Who Are You.. – Blake Shelton
She’s Gotta Be (Intro) – Keith Urban
The Hard Way – Keith Urban